I Love Tea Cups

I Love Tea Cups

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Easy Lunch Box Favorite~Wacky Cake


Wacky Cake
Hello everyone, 
I love this simple cake. The kids are going back to school this week and I was thinking about when my kids would go back to school in the fall. 
In the 'Old Days' I would pack lunches for the kids every morning while they ate their breakfast. I was blessed to stay home for 20 years before I went to work outside the home. Working at home is a different kind of work.
I baked, cooked, cleaned, sewed,washed everything, ironed and gardened everyday.  My favorite thing to do was bake. I LOVE TO BAKE
My mother-in-law gave me this recipe when I was first married. I didn't know this fact until recently, but the 'Wacky Cake; is also called the 'Depression Cake" and during the Great Depression there was a shortage of eggs, milk and butter. And this cake became a favorite with people because it had the same moist and delicious flavor. Also a favorite with people who are vegan or allergic to dairy.
GREAT FOR LUNCH
Big or little people
The ingredients are simple
Flour, Sugar, Cocoa, Vinegar, soda, vanilla, shortening and water
PRINTABLE RECIPE GO HERE
Grandma's Chocolate Wacky Cake
Easy
Serves 6 to 8
Sift into an 8" square ungreased pan.
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 cup sugar
3 rounded teaspoon cocoa
1 teaspoon soda~male a dent in one corner and add 1 tablespoon apple cider  vinegar.
Make a dent in the opposite corner add 1 teaspoon vanilla. 
Draw a line through the middle of the ingredients add 5 tablespoons melted shortening. 
Over all pour 1 cup warm water and mix all together in pan. 
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Leave in pan and frost.
Sprinkle with Powdered Sugar
Note:
My Mother-in-law gave this recipe to me 53 years ago. 
This was one of our children's favorite desserts
GREAT WITH TRIPLE VANILLA ICE CREAM
Delicious anytime.
 Great warm out of the oven with a cold glass of milk.
Wonderful with a cup of hot tea.
This cake carries well in a brown bag or picnic basket.
Fabulous with any flavor of ice cream. 
Thank you for joining me @ My Cozy Corner
I'm Linking to:
Foodie Friday
Feathered Nest Friday
Home Sweet Home
Show and Tell 
Seasonal Sunday
Met Monday
Have a great weekend
Betty 

1 comment:

  1. YUM! :D Dropping by from Met Monday. Hope you'll come see my grandson's playroom.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete

I'm so delighted that you have visited my blog...
Thanks for your comments as I enjoy reading them.
Betty

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...